I began Parrot Rescue Services in 2011 with the intention of providing the best shelter situation I could for unwanted companion birds. Thanks to the help of some very dedicated volunteers, in just a few short years we have developed a reputation for doing just that. Running a rescue is never easy. It is a seven day a week, 365 day a year commitment. It doesn't matter if it is a weekend or a holiday. Someone needs to be at the shelter every day to care for the birds. Parrot Rescue Services is an all volunteer organization, so we truly rely on human kindness to keep going. From the senior citizen who carefully folds and saves newspaper for us, to the weekly volunteers who help me feed and care for the birds, and to the generous donors who provide financial support; everyone who helps us is an integral part of the rescue.
Every penny we raise goes directly to providing food and shelter for our nearly 60 birds. There are many more requests to take in birds, especially the larger ones, than we can handle. And although we strive to put as many birds back into quality homes as possible, there are just more requests for surrenders than there are spots available in our shelter. As I look to the future, my commitment does not waver, but my dream of continuing to provide for unwanted companion birds is contingent on support. As the primary caretaker for all the birds in my shelter there isn't a lot of time left over to work on fundraising, and this year our goal is ambitious. We are hoping to raise $12,000 by the end of January. With that goal in mind, we have several fundraising events coming up:
- Our biggest fundraiser of the year is Give to the Max Day. This year it is on November 13th.
- November 29th is Small Business Saturday, and as the owner of Avalon Parrots I am hosting a Holiday Boutique at the Katherine Abbott Park Building from 12 to 5. All profit will be donated to Parrot Rescue Services, Inc.
- December 6th from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm I will be participating in another boutique at the Shoreview YMCA and will donate all profit form my sales to Parrot Rescue Services
- As co-owner of the Etsy shop WhiskersWingsandWags, we will be donating all profit from sales to Parrot Rescue Services. Gift items will be available for purchase by November 23rd. Work will be posted as it is finished so keep checking back!
- Cash and check donations can be dropped off at the shelter or mailed to Parrot Rescue Services, 960 Mahtomedi Ave., Mahtomedi, MN 55115
All donations are tax deductible as allowed by the law.